Okay, so maybe what I’m going to tell you won’t actually shrink your pants–but the mistakes listed below could be causing your pants to fit tighter than you’d like. I meet tons of new people that can’t seem to figure out why they can’t lose weight or hit specific goals. I have been blessed with the ability to be able to figure out how most people can break through a plateau. The point I’m trying to make here is that most people are just a little bit off and only need to make some small adjustments. To be honest, most have no idea how to do so. What I do know is that most of the mistakes come out of improper nutrition. In addition to showing you the most common mistakes, I’ve also listed some of my favorite healthy meals to get at restaurants all around Lexington!
First, here are some of the common mistakes people make when trying to reach their goals:
Mistake #1: Eating Out and Alcohol
I hear this far too often, “I only ate out twice this week, or I only had four glasses of wine this week. I put in two hours in the gym each day and can’t seem to lose weight.” However this is the reason the weight is not coming off. You have to be completely real with yourself. I ask all our clients to try to go three weeks with absolutely no eating mistakes or alcohol and to see what the scale says in the end.
Mistake #2: Under Eating
Too much exercise and not enough food is a surefire way to slow down the metabolism, a perfect tool for the body to store fat. Should a person who runs 30 miles a week or exercises an hour every day be overweight? If this is the case the diet is either off or the body is holding on to fat because it is in starvation mode.
Mistake #3: Unbalanced Diets
I have seen people eat really clean, but then find out about 60-70% of their diet is from carbohydrates. This is great if you’re a marathon runner, but not if you’re trying to lose weight. Finding the right balance for the goal you’re trying to reach is imperative.
Mistake #4: Fad Diets
The classic and often seen low carbohydrate or low fat diets are probably the most common fads of the time. The body needs carbohydrates for energy, protein for muscle building and repair, and fat for body temperature control and hormone regulation. If your body is not getting the healthy fats it will store the bad fats (Saturated & Trans fats) which are to blame for a lot of health conditions.
Mistake #5: “Health Foods”
There are also a lot of people who are tricked in to thinking they eat healthy. How many of you think you are doing well when you eat any of the following foods:
- 45 Calorie ight breads
- Wheat Thins
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- Wheat tortillas, breads, and bagels with enriched and bleached flours
- Light canned soup
- Skippy Natural PB
- Special K Cereal
- Fiber One Bars
The list could go on and on. Manufacturers promote products as healthy when they are far from it. Why do they do this? Diet foods, products, and programs are one of the biggest money making industries in the country! Many are desperate to lose and are duped to try anything.
It is my passion to educate those who are willing to do what it takes. We will teach them exactly how to get results. It’s our no excuses type of attitude that makes us the right choice. We will not sugar coat (no pun intended) anything. We will tell you the truth of how to get results, motivate you to follow the plan, and hold you accountable to help you reach your goals. That’s all we can do. You still have to choose to commit and make the day to day choices to help you see those results.
Today is all about telling you the healthiest places to eat out that won’t stop you from reaching your goals. Many are unaware how easy it is to eat out and stay on track if you learn to tell them how you want your food prepared. You can get a salad with lean meat and steamed veggies at most any place in town. It’s just saying no to the tempting foods on the menu.
If you go out to eat, try choosing some of my favorites:
- PF Chang’s-Beef with Broccoli and steamed brown rice
- Saul Good – Steak Salad with light cheese and dressing on the side
- Cheesecake Factory– Fresh Vegetable Salad with light cheese, dressing on the side and add Grilled Chicken
- Chipotle – Brown rice bowl, beans, chicken, salsa, guacamole, and lettuce
- First Watch – Veg’d Out Omelet with light or no cheese and dressed greens
- Puccini’s – Grilled Chicken Pasta Primavera with Whole Wheat Penne & no garlic bread
- Buffalo Wild Wings – Naked tenders with side of Buffalo dipping sauce
- Athenian Grill– Greek Garden Salad with Grilled Chicken dressing on the side and light cheese
- Red Lobster – Wood grilled anything with no butter finish and steamed veggies
- Texas Roadhouse – Small sirloin or chicken with sweet potato and steamed veggies with no butter sauce or buns
- Vinaigrette Salad Kitchen – Some great choices! Get dressing on the side, no breads, croutons, and ask for light cheese
- Gas stations – Almonds, fresh fruit, string cheese, water, etc.
As you see, just about anywhere has the potential of being healthy if you order the right plate! Avoid butter, loads of cheese, gravies, sour cream, breads, and high fat dressings. Split plates and enjoy your company and the experience!